07 August 2011

The City Called RIYADH

I apologize for not updating this blog lately. Fret no more, because the baby blogger is back with so many stories to tell! I am really excited but I just have to take it slow. Mom's got her hands full lately.. I have been on vacay for 5 weeks in Riyadh and a little less than a week in Venice so please please....bare with me.....:)

To start off, let me share with you some pics of the city I have come to love. It has been my home for five weeks and the whole time Mom and I spent there was....priceless.



Fai Salaiah tower (its the 1st mall we went to when we arrived in Riyadh)
 
Fai Salaiah in the evening
Kingdom Centre is a famous landmark in Riyadh owned by Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal, a prince of the Saudi Royal Family.It is currently the tallest skyscraper in Saudi Arabia. It is also the headquarters of his holding company: Kingdom Holding Company.Would you believe this is also a five-level shopping center! Cool diba? Also, it's one of Papa Wie's projects a few years ago.
The famous landmark in the evening.

We have Mercure Hotels here in Belgium too! But this is far more interesting to look at. :)



Arabian Moon...
The Kingdom School is owned by the same Prince who commissioned the company where Papa Wie works to build all his projects.
Kingdom Hospital (this is where Auntie Den works as NICU Nurse). I am proud to note here that Papa Wie is one of the resposible peeps for the extravagant posh suites in this hospital.



Sorry for the blurry pictures. Mom was scared she'd be seen by 'mutawas' (Saudi's High Priests) taking a photo in a public place.

Malls are like everywhere. Their store hours are crazy too!

The busy streets of Riyadh are filled with expensive cars , mostly Toyota Land Cruisers & Lexus SUVs. :)


Are those supposed to be Date trees? I don't know...:)




Their source of Belgian chocolates- Carrefour Supermarket :)

My happy meal heaven
These are typical houses of middle class Saudi Nationals....just imagine how the houses of richer saudi folks look like.

 Sana may krispy kreme din dito :(

'Coming Soon' 





Papa Wie's current project. These 3 buildings are office spaces, the first one of the left will be rented out to Toyota.
Al Jazeerah Mall was a  project of Pop back in the 80's.


The Granada Mall, our favorite mall in RIyadh. It houses famous shops of brand names like MAC, Coach, Prada  etc.






Notice the 'barbar' shop? Yep, that's only in Riyadh :)
It's hard to believe that this place is a wedding hall.

Mom said Riyadh used to be one huge blank canvas and all the Pinoy OFWs (like my Papa Wie) are the great artists who  brought life and gave definition to this sandy part of the world. They did not just beautify the city, they actually built it. I didn't understand at first when  mom said visiting Riyadh is like going through my Papa Wie’s portfolio, now I do. I was lucky I got a chance to see some of the projects and designs he did. I wish we could have taken more photos but 'mutawas' ( Saudi's high priests) scare Mommy big time. Taking pictures in public places is a big no-no in Riyadh.

These light posts were designed by Papa Wie. Cool, right?  We actually lost count how many buildings Papa Wie told us na naging project nya.
As you know, Papa Wie spent most of his career life in  KSA where he learned to  master  his craft. I say he did a great job. Papa Wie is just one of the thousand Pinoy professionals in KSA who contributed a lot into making a modern city out of  a dull Arabian desert. We are truly proud of you Papa Wie!